The Fredericksburg Free Press is looking for an experienced editor to lead an independent, nonpartisan, digital news service for the Fredericksburg region.
The editor will help build the Free Press news operations, including reporting stories, planning coverage and editing. They will also help identify freelance reporters to supplement staff coverage and will hire other newsroom staff members as we grow.
The editor will work with a dedicated nonprofit board to support operations of the Free Press. This is a new organization, and the ideal candidate is someone who is excited about growing a sustainable, trusted news source.
We’re looking for someone with these skills:
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Strong understanding of reporting and journalism ethics.
- Strong news judgment.
- Excellent people skills
- Ability to inspire and manage staff.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to manage time efficiently.
- Ability to manage budget effectively.
The editor will:
- Hire and manage staff reporters and freelance writers and photographers.
- Plan the daily news report, assign and edit stories, photos, video and other news content.
- Ensure that all content generated by the Fredericksburg Free Press meets journalistic standards for accuracy and fairness and serves the public interest.
- Ensure that news content is published in a timely manner and updated regularly.
- Lead staff in utilizing newsletters, social media, podcasts and other emerging media platforms to reach a diverse, community-wide audience.
- Represent the Fredericksburg Free Press in the community, serving as a spokesperson for the actions and plans of the FFP and responding to questions and comments from the public.
Interested? Send us a resume and cover letter, and please include salary requirements. Send it to [email protected].